Friday, July 19, 2013

Marburg: Day 1

Most of the day was spent on the train.  We hopped on at about 8:00 and finally reached our destination at about 2:30.  The area outside of Marburg was very agricultural.  We saw a lot of hay and/or wheat from our seats.

I was beside myself with excitement for this train ride.  Sometime in Italy, I spotted a double-decker train.  Much like Pippin discovering that beer came in pints, my reaction was similar: They come in two stories?  I have to ride one!  I'd pined for my chance and finally it came - we rode on the top of a double-decker regional train to Marburg.  It was everything I'd hoped it would be.

The first thing I did after hopping off the train was to find a bakery and get a bretzel (soft pretzel).  Mmm.  I had definitely missed them!  Once we enjoyed our snack, we figured out the bus system and navigated our way to our hosts' home.  One was very busy that evening, so we did not meet him.  We spent a couple hours chatting with the other and we are very excited - we're already laying plans to travel about Marburg together and cook/bake together!  She had to run out as well, so we decided to do a bit of exploration.  (More on hosts tomorrow!)

We managed to get just about everywhere right after they closed.  We managed to not visit the tourist information office, library, and game store.  We're thrilled to have actually found a geek shop - we've been looking, but to no avail.  We did ride an elevator up to the Oberstadt, or the over city.  There's a charming older bit of the town that is up on a hill with traditional narrow alleys and cobblestones.

There's also a lovely view of Marburg and the surrounding area.  It's hard to see, but the tall tower in the middle of the picture actually has a rooster on top.

Tomorrow(today, really, it is the morning now) will hold traipsing about with our hosts.  We have no idea what's in store, but we're excited!

Cock-a-doodle-doo!
Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment